Sunday, July 28, 2013

Farmhouse Table


 So, I picked this up last weekend for practically nothing at a local auction house. It was a big mistake for me to go there; now I know where I can get in my auction fix every single Saturday. Uh oh.
So, it was basic old brown on the bottom and some kind of murky tan blah color on the top; and coated in old polyurithane that had turned yellow. I knew immediately what I was going to do with it.



 A little stripping, a little sanding, a little DIY chalk painting, stain, and wax - and there you have a cute little kitchen table.In the photos above you can see how I was building my newest display in the shop; finished up below:


We kind of go for a strong "Classic American" vibe in the shop. It fits with our circa 1830s building.  Of course we have smaller spots of modern, Shabby Cottage, French/European themes in other areas. This seems to work well with our customers - there is something for everyone's tastes in interior decorating, and something for every budget.

I'm also trying to get away from the traditional "Grandma's cluttered, dusty antiques + junk + thrift shop" look. Don't get me wrong - I LOVE THOSE SHOPS! That's where you can dig around and find awesome treasure.

But, in our shop, I am trying to get a cleaner, more organized, "curated" look with a strong emphasis on interior decorating and not just collecting old stuff in a location and hoping someone buys it.

This idea seems to be working, as I have sold off almost everything I started with and am scrambling to find new inventory. 

Come see us if you're ever in our neck of the woods - we're in historic downtown Milton, NC across the street from the Thomas Day House/Union Tavern museum. There are many other things to do in town as well; various little shops and an Art Gallery  - stop on by, we LOVE visitors, and I love to talk about the town's history! :)

1 comment:

lislynn said...

I HAVE THAT TABLE! :) J bought it for me off craigslist a while back. It's my desk/craft table right now, so I'm not fancy-ing it up just yet. It takes kind of a beating in it's current role...