Saturday, December 22, 2012

It's Beginning to Look a Lot Like Christmas














My Christmas decor is like everything else in my house: simple, natural, and vintage. I keep Christmas decorating in the back of my mind all year as I visit thrift stores and yard sales and antiques shops. That's where my little primitive Santa and Father Christmas collection started this past year. I adore those primitive figurines.

I also like to use things I already own and incorporate them into my Holiday decor, especially vessels like old silver, cast iron, wood boxes, jars, etc. etc.

I always start with a trip into the woods for any and all kinds of natural things. My driftwood fits into the nature category; I picked that up while we were vacationing on the North Carolina Outer Banks this past summer. I only which I'd picked up more of it! I made my own two front door wreaths and went with simple gold bows instead of my usual red.

I'm loving a stripped down, neutral and natural look this year, too. I usually like red; and I used a lot of red and gold on our tree (which I haven't pictured yet) but in my office/studio my theme was green and white, and I used things from my bird collecting - figurines and nests and such.

On my newly re finished stair case, I went with fir boughs instead of my usual hand-crafted garland, because I didn't feel like covering it up so completely. And I used my big red and gold bows there. :)

Things that really inspired me this Christmas:

Primitive Santas
Vintage bottle brush trees
Deer
Birds
Vintage mittens (Not shown here)
Vintage greeting cards (Shown in the wood box in the photos above)
Vintage flower frogs (stick some of the greeting cards in them)
Vintage wood boxes
Vintage "Shiny Brite" glass ornaments. (I have tons, but I'm afraid to get them all out and use them!)

 As well as:
Twigs, moss, feathers, tree slices,evergreen branches, pine cones, berries, rosemary sprigs, boxwood, ivy, holly, driftwood, magnolia, rocks, odd pieces of wood, and fruit - which are all pretty much free.

What inspires your Christmas decor?







No comments: