Saturday, December 1, 2012

Black Dresser: Before and After





I re-did this dresser back in the summer and forgot to post about it. We  bought the dresser at Goodwill for cheap, despite the fact that it was pretty well dinged up and pretty hopeless looking.

However, it met my #1 criteria for furniture re-dos: It was solid wood, and sturdy. 

It is a classic "federal" style, and it goes wonderfully with my current bedroom make over: from "shabby cottage" to romantic English Equestrian hideaway. (When the makeover is done I will definitely be posting about the new look.) In the second picture you can see how the front is gently curved.

I decided to go bold, and paint it black. But first, I had a TON of work to do on it; patching, sanding, gluing, etc. etc.


 Brutus helped. Kind of.
 

I painted it flat black and then gave it two coats of poly. I know it's a lot of extra steps but I really didn't want a glossy black  and this way I could temper the gloss. I distressed the edges and replaced the original hardware - what was left of it. I still have to figure out what I am going to do about the offset knobs on the bottom drawer....

It turned out really great and like I thought, it's the perfect piece for our new romantic English equestrian theme bedroom look.

Have a great weekend , everyone!

:)

1 comment:

Lisa said...

Ooooh, I love it! Nice work.