Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Sundress Must Have.

During the summer, I love to wear sundresses and shorter skirts. Not micro minis; just "shorter". But I hate wearing slips underneath said dresses and skirts. It's just so HOT! However; with the lighter fabrics of summer skirts and dresses, you're in danger of the see-through factor. Not to mention the breeze catching your skirt factor. Or any number of ways in which you could accidentally expose your nether regions to innocent, unsuspecting passers-by. Ahem.

I sometimes wear light shorts under my sundresses and skirts but often they feel bulky and annoying.

 I think I have found just the thing for this issue:

 Photobucket

 Photobucket

1950s era "undershorts".

 I bought these a few weeks ago for inventory in my Etsy shop and just got around to photographing and inspecting them today. I had assumed they would be too small for me, but popped them on anyway just to see, and they fit so I am keeping them and wearing them under all my sundresses from now on.

 On first glance, it looks like a half slip; but behind the front panel thingy there is a crotch built in. They're comfy and pretty and I am wearing them under a sundress as I type.

 Dress and skirt wearers, both vintage and modern, take note! Vintage "pantalettes" or "undershorts" or whatever you want to call them, are the way to go!

2 comments:

lislynn said...

Wow. That sounds like an awesome idea! Where would I find such a thing? other than a lucky estate sale, or some such...

Mom said...

Seems I remember those; try looking for "split" slip or "culotte" slip.
One could make such a thing out of something like "lawn" or some other such ultralight fabric, with an old culotte pattern.