Friday, April 8, 2011

The Official Find Of The Day: 1950s Bathing Suit!

Boy, am I glad we ran out of cat food this morning. I had to make an unexpected trip to the grocery for more cat food, and stopped in the Goodwill store across the street while I was in the neighborhood. I picked up a few things: like a pair of brand new, black lace covered, peep toe high heels for $4, a pair of shabby chic Waverly "Garden Room" throw pillows with a cottagey floral print for $5; a couple of cute things for my nieces; and a vintage empire waist, blue floral satin,  1930's style dressing gown with ruffled collar (LOVE) for $3 - but as I passed by a rack of bathing suits, one really caught my eye. (I rarely look at bathing suits at thirft shops. I just don't buy used bathing suits. For obvious reasons. Unless they still have the tags.)

 (I apologize for the rubbishy photos. I was in haste when I took them.)

 (Listen to me, sounding all British! It must be the upcoming Royal Wedding getting to me......)

 Photobucket

 It's black, with pleated skirt and bodice. NO damage, and hardly any wear! It's in simply amazing condition.
 The legs are cut low, in old-fashioned, modest "boy short" style:

 Photobucket

 The back buttons up with the cutest covered little buttons:

 Photobucket

 Photobucket

 The shoulder straps button in the back also; so you can adjust them as needed:

 Photobucket

 And inside, the cups are padded, and there is this cute little satin bow with a rosette. The tag is "Elizabeth Stewart, California".

 Photobucket

 And the clincher? ............................ This suit fits me. Yes! I put it on! In fact, it fits "big" on me! I guess it's about a modern size 12. So, it's a keeper. I have never, ever found a vintage bathing suit in my thrift shopping; and never, ever thought I would. They're pretty rare for thrift shops. And the first one I find is in such good shape, and fits me to boot?!

 Oh; here are the shoes (and the pillows shown in the background).

 Photobucket

(That's my cat, Brutus.)

 PS: I paid $4.00 for the suit. I am still amazed at the luck of it!
 

1 comment:

Denise said...

Wow what a great find!