Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Loosing Cavort

A sad, terrible day, this.

I went to put a blanket on our horse, Cavort, and found him dead in his paddock.

This came as such a shock.

He was very old; But not sick or anything. It looks like he died in his sleep. I had just seen him the day before yesterday, and he was fine.

And today, he is dead.

I wrote about his life on my Horse Blog, All The Pretty Little Horses. You can click on the link in my sidebar to read it. (Or, I just stick a link here instead...)

Years ago, I lost my first horse; Cookie. I was devastated over it. I found this poem, and it helped me out, in some way. It soothed my hurting soul again when I lost my horse Buckeye in a horrific, bloody accident.

Don't Cry For The Horses - Brenda Riley-Seymore

Don't cry for the horses
That life has set free
A million white horses
Forever to be.


Don't cry for the horses
Now in God's hand
As they dance and they prance
To a heavenly band.


They were ours as a gift,
But never to keep
As they close their eyes
Forever to sleep -


Their spirits unbound,
On silver wings they fly
A million white horses,
Against a blue sky.

Look into heaven
You'll see them above
The horses we lost,
The horses we loved


Manes and Tails flowing
They gallop through time
They were never yours;
They were never mine

Don't cry for the horses,
They'll be back someday
When our time has come,
They'll show us the way.

Do you hear that soft nicker,
Close to your ear?
Don't cry for the horses -
Love the ones that are here.


If you have ever loved a horse, and lost them; you know.....

Photobucket

3 comments:

Denise said...

So sorry for your loss.

Catherine said...

I love that poem...

Jodi Eliza said...

Hosanna, I am soo sorry for your loss. :( Sending farmgirl hugs and prayers your way.