Tuesday, December 22, 2009

The Best Italian Food Ever

I don't usually post about food and cooking; unless it is vegetable gardening and canning/preserving. I let other food blogs do that. Like the Pioneer Woman? THAT's where I go for food inspiration.....
However.
My sister came over the other day for some of her favorite lasagna and some Lord of the Rings; so I thought I would share this amazing concept of Lasagna with 2 Sauces.
It is a huge big deal in our family. And, it is vegetarian, as well.

First of all: I make my own sauces, and my own pasta. I love my pasta machine. I don't know what I'd even do without this item in my kitchen. I love homemade pasta. This pasta is made with flour, a little salt, olive oil, and eggs. The dough looks yellow in the photos because the eggs are my own fresh, organic, free range hen fruit.

Photobucket

Photobucket

The machine has 7 width settings. I start with the widest and go down from there. For making lasagna sheets, you don't want it to be too thin. I work the dough in quarters, and it is easier to handle in short rectangles than in long sheets.

Photobucket

Photobucket

After I get it smooth and in a good manageable length, Set it somewhere to dry a little bit before cooking. At this point you can also cut it for fettuchini also.
I usually dry leftovers for later. You have to make sure it is really dry before storing it.

Photobucket

These are the elements of the dish:

Photobucket

Fresh spinach and basil (if fresh basil is around. If not, I use dry), carrots, mushrooms, onion, garlic, ricotta, mozzarella, Parmesan, marinara and Alfredo sauces.

Photobucket

I cook the mushrooms, onions, carrot and garlic together. I cook the spinach, squeeze it dry, and add the basil to that. I mix Mozzarella, ricotta and some Parmesan together. In this case I used a jar of my own marinara sauce made with zuchhini and other veggies, and I make my own Alfredo.

Photobucket

Noelle layered the scrumptious layers.

Alfredo on top with delish Parmesan.......
Photobucket

Photobucket

If you want the complete recipe I can email it to you or post it for those of you who want to try it.

1 comment:

Jodi Eliza said...

I am drooling...yes, yes PLEASE share the full recipe!! Mm, looks SO good! :)

When my kitchen is done, I want to try making my own pasta from scratch...I bet homemade tastes delish!